For a PDF version of my CV, please click here.
Dr. Jordan is a dedicated professional with 12+ years’ experience in interdisciplinary higher education, communications, and professional writing. She holds subject matter expertise in the Middle East and North Africa, Religious Studies, and Political Science/Political Theory. She currently serves as an integral member of VariQ Corporation’s Business Development Team and uses her expertise in writing and communications to coordinate and edit top-quality proposal responses to the Federal Government, securing Government funding for new business opportunities. In addition to her positions teaching and advising at several colleges and universities, Dr. Jordan previously served as the senior member of a communications team designing publications, websites, e-letters, and managing Web 2.0 presence for an 1100-member organization.
ASSOCIATE PROPOSAL MANAGER, VARIQ CORPORATION, 06/2017 – PRESENT
Serves as Proposal Manager for VariQ Corporation, an award-winning Information Technology and IT Security Services company with a focus on Federal, State, and Local Government departments and agencies. Coordinates between Business Development, Finance, Recruiting, and Contracts to organize, write, and submit technical volumes to agencies and government offices both in Washington, DC and throughout the United States.
- Responsibilities: manages proposal production activities from initial outline, through multiple rounds of edits and final submission/publication; assigns writing, editing, and technical review roles to teammates spanning Finance, Contracts, Recruiting, Senior Partners, and Subject Matter Experts; performs copyedits on final solicitation drafts.
- Personal Projects: processes new business development opportunities from Government Acquisition Contracts (GWAC) databases; trains new business development analysts; writes business development operations manuals; redesigned team SharePoint site; overhauled past performance library in conjunction with project managers and sector leads.
- Notable accomplishments: promoted to Proposal Manager (had served as a Proposal Coordinator) within six months of employment; has managed seven Solicitation responses since January 2018; served as a Proposal Manager on an NIH bid within six weeks of employment (having never worked in business development); brought a new business opportunity to VariQ (and recruited two new teaming partners) based on Subject Matter Expertise in terrorism.
VISITING ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, RELIGION, ROANOKE COLLEGE, 08/2014 – 08/2017
Taught courses both in religion (Judaism, Islam, Comparative Religion) and in general studies (Writing/Rhetoric, Public Speaking). Designed courses taught both in-class and online. Designed and implemented a senior-level course on the Politics and Religion of the Middle East and North Africa based on student interest.
- Responsibilities: curriculum design, online course design and implementation (Moodle LMS), student advisement.
- Service: Faculty Advisory Committee for the Annual Israel-Palestine Peace Week; Academic Integrity Council; Faculty Advisor for the Model United Nations/Model Arab League Club.
- Notable Achievements: Taught a 3/3 course load while simultaneously finishing PhD; Earned “Advisor of the Year” Award from the Student Life Council for service to the Model United Nations/Model Arab League Club.
- The Model Arab League Manual: A Guide to Preparation and Performance. Philip A. D’Agati and Holly A. Jordan. Manchester University Press. March 2016.
- “Black, Poor, and Jewish: The Ostracism of Ethiopian Jews in Modern Israel.” In Migration Policy and Practice: Interventions and Solutions, Harald Bauder and Christian Matheis, ed. Palgrave Macmillan. September 2015.
- “Hannah Arendt: Why Now?” SPECTRA: The Social, Political, Ethical, and Cultural Thought Archive, Volume 3, Issue 2, September 2014. ISSN 2162-8793.
ADJUNCT/ GRADUATE INSTRUCTOR, DEPARTMENTS OF RELIGION AND CULTURE, POLITICAL SCIENCE, AND HISTORY, VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIVERSITY (VIRGINIA TECH), 08/2011 – 05/2017
- Responsibilities: curriculum design, online course design (Sakai/Canvas LMS), and student advisement.
- Departmental Service: recruiter, fundraiser, and advisor of the Regional and International Organizations student group; organizer for annual conference; editor-in-chief of biyearly peer-reviewed academic journal.
- Notable Achievements:
- Voted President of the ASPECT Student Association during first year of PhD study (2011-2012)
- Named a Virginia Tech Diversity Scholar for the 2012-2013 Academic year.
- Awarded the National Council on US-Arab Relations’ Model Arab League Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012.
COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST, FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF ATHENS, 02/2010 – 07/2011
Head of communications for 1100-member downtown church. Responsibilities included: website development (ACS Web Technologies), editing quarterly magazine and bimonthly newsletters (Adobe CS), and publishing weekly bulletins and e-letters (Constant Contact). Developed and implemented strategies for Web 2.0 presence (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube). Designed and implemented company AP style-sheet.
ADJUNCT / GRADUATE INSTRUCTOR, THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA, 08/2006 – 05/2011
Taught three courses annually while enrolled full time in graduate studies. Responsibilities included: curriculum design, online course design/implementation (Blackboard), and student advisement.
PHD, SOCIAL AND POLITICAL THEORY, VIRGINIA TECH, BLACKSBURG, VA, 2016
Earned PhD from the Alliance for Social, Political, Ethical, and Cultural Thought – Virginia Tech’s flagship interdisciplinary PhD program. Dissertation: Marriage, the Family, and Security in Israel: The Paradox of the Liberal State.
MA, RELIGION, THE UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA, ATHENS, GA, 2009
Coursework focused primarily in comparative religion and in the history of Judaism. Thesis: A History of Jews in Greek Gymnasia from the Hellenistic Period through the Late Roman Period.
BA, POLITICS, CONVERSE COLLEGE, SPARTANBURG, SC, May 2006
CERTIFICATE (ARABIC), AL AL-BAYT UNIVERSITY, MAFRAQ, JORDAN, 2004
- Microsoft: Office, SharePoint, Dynamics
- Apple Productivity Apps
- Desktop Publishing: Layout Design, Copyediting
- Adobe: Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Photoshop
- Web 2.0 (YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- CMS/LMS: Blackboard, D2L, Moodle, Sakai